Tuesday, July 1

These Are The Breaks.


So I wanted to start a new category of posts here on the Bloggy Smalls. If you didn't know, allow me to reintroduce myself (c) Jigga...I'm a huge beat head. i study the history of hip-hop. I dig through dusty records. I love the original samples that we flipped to make some of the illest beats in the music history. So i wanted to dedicate a post every week to let you in on some of the original samples that have left a huge impact on hip hop history. Because you'll never know where you're going unless you know where you're from.

And since I'm from the West, that's where we're going to start. One of the most prolific and legendary producers in westcoast hip hop history is the good Doctor. Dre has laid classic track after classic track,and set the soundscape for L.A. based Hip-Hop. Many people are unaware that Dr. Dre actually samples -- but rather that he produces his tracks from scratch. This is not true. Dre has sampled hundreds of times, he is just so good at replaying the original sample on his keyboard and/or layering it with other synth and drums sounds that it sounds original. Here is one of those sneaky samples he snuck in there, and gave to Pac just as he was out on bail, fresh outta jail...

Joe Cocker - Woman to Woman


2Pac - California Love

(I forgot Chris Tucker was in this video, haha. What happened to that guy?)

No comments: