Thursday, March 19

Throwback Thursdays.


"The Anthem" featuring The RZA, Tech N9ne, Eminem, Xzibit, Pharoahe Monch, Kool G. Rap, Jayo Felony, Chino XL, and KRS-One.

You know a posse cut is dope when every single person on the track is still relevant after 10 years (Well almost everybody. Sorry Jayo Felony). Every emcee was from a different background, and on a different style, but they all killed it just the same. The Wake Up Show knew what they were doing.

Now, to be a Throwback, it's gotta be at least 10 years old. That's my rule, so 1999 is the cut off year. This one barely made it, but don't fret...you get a little 2 for one today to make up for it. I originally wanted to post Sway and King Tech's "The Anthem" from 1999 (above), but in my YouTubing I stumbled upon this gem. It's the Wake Up Show Anthem from 1994 when they were on everyday Saturday night on 92.3 The Beat in Los Angeles. This was exlusive to L.A. If you're not from the City of Angeles, then you've probably never experienced this. But every hip hop head who has ever owned a radio and lived in Los Angeles is familiar with the dopeness that is this Anthem.

Personally, I forgot how sick it was, but the instant I heard L-Boogie go, "Uh-uh-oh...I'm coolin with my niggas on the Wake Up Show-uh-oh" I was instantly taken back to '94. This is some legendary hip hop shit right here. The song featured Lauryn Hill, Nas, Organized Konfusion (Pharoahe Monch and Prince Po), Ras Kass, Dred Scott, Shyheim, and Saafir. It's bananas. They're actually rhyming about the show, the radio station, it's call signals, the city, the hosts, and DJs. You know, some real relevant hip hop shit. And it's a full song, over 4 minutes. Throwback Thursdays is in full effect. Check the vibe, ya'll.

No comments: