Monday, September 8

Who Is Jay Electronica?


Hip Hop Official sits down with the enigmatic emcee/producer Jay Electronica. His name has been buzzing, but nobody really seem to know who he is. Jay has been notorious for remaining behind the scenes, and usually doesn't do interviews, so this is a treat. I had the pleasure of conducting this interview, and let me say it was one of the most unique interviews I have ever been a part of. Jay is extremely humble, passion, and highly introspective. He doesn't have your typical outlook on the world and looks at things uniquely, which is very refreshing. Enjoy the interview. This is one of my favorite segments I've had the pleasure of producing, and I think it turned out well. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Jay Electronica.

He gets compared a lot to Nas, but I feel like he has a MF Doom/Killah Priest vibe to him. Stream of consciousness rap with abstract wordplay and imagery. If you haven't heard any of his music, here's your Clif's Notes cram session.

DOWNLOAD: Jay Electronica - "Dimethyltriptamine" (prod by J. Dilla)
DOWNLOAD: Jay Electronica - "Extra Extra" (prod by Madlib)
DOWNLOAD: Jay Electronica - "Hard To Get" (prod by Mr. Porter)
DOWNLOAD: Jay Electronica - "The Pledge" (Act 1; Eternal Sunshine)

No comments: