Wednesday, June 18

Method Man Still Raps.


Mr. Mef, Johnny Blaze, Iron Lung, Hott Nickels, Ticallion Stallion. Method Man is a man of many names, and many pursuits. The Wu-Banger got his start as the face of the Wu, but since has been getting his face plastering across TV and film screens across this great land (Go see The Whackness). It got me thinking, does one of my favorite emcee's from the mid-90's still bless the mic? I remember this dude appeared on almost everyone's tracks in the 90's, and he killed every collab. Aside from his recent apperances on the new Wu-Tang album, 8 Diagrams , the M-E-T-H-O-D Man has been M-I-A, man.

What happened?

Have no fear, Methtical isn't hanging up the mic any time soon. Before his next solo effort, he'll reunite with Redman, in hopes of recreating the chemistry from 1999's Blackout.

"I still gotta reacquaint myself with the Hip Hop audience," Method Man tells Entertainment Weekly. "The way music is being churned out now, like fast-food, man — it's hard for [fans] to grasp onto anything anymore."

"We're going to get Erick Sermon up in there, my man Kwamé of course, DJ Scratch," says Meth. "Right now we're just piecing together more beats, and what direction we're gonna go. 'Cause this just can't be, like, 'You rhyme, I rhyme.' Nah. We want it to actually feel like so much of a collaboration that it's in unison, it clicks together. Like, you can't have your cereal without your milk. That's the best analogy I can come up with right now."

Method Man says the collaborative album Blackout 2 is tentatively scheduled for a fourth-quarter release on Def Jam, with his solo effort following sometime thereafter.

No comments: